Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Think It's Time to Go Shopping

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Right now, I am in the midst of a big project, deadline looming. Because I'm a seasoned writer, I know the importance of taking the occasional break, if only to clear the mind. (Don't give me too much credit; newly acquired knowledge).

So, I run down the ladder for more coffee and to get dressed. Now, in the wintertime especially, we paper carriers dress for comfort and warmth. This means, it doesn't really matter if clothes are worn in spots or contain a few holes, since the various layers, strategically placed, cover those parts. It just means I can't wear any long underwear with blown-out knees with a pair of jeans in similar shape.

This morning, however, the only jeans I'm finding are in pretty sorry condition, so I need a decent set of long underwear to go with them. Unfortunately, it's a fairly heavy-duty pair, which means it's a real struggle to get my jeans over them. As I'm tugging the legs of those underwear past the holes in my jeans, I decide it's time to buy some new clothes.

The cheering you hear in the background is my family.

Besides, my publicist keeps reminding me that, with Bryony being released this year, I, as author, am commodity, too, and not just an eccentric homeschooling mother who freelances in her attic office, so she is insisting I dress the part. You know you're overdue for a trip to the mall when your mother rejoices at the fact you finally need bifocals. That, of course, meant I had to get rid of the crummy glasses I've been wearing for years because I'm too cheap to buy more. My mother's crossing her fingers that my long, straight hair goes next.

Sorry, mom. I'll admit, a new wardrobe MIGHT be in order, if only to go with all those cool hats I own. The hair, however, is sacred. It stays. Anyway if I'm going to dress Victorian, I'll need something to put up. Artificial tresses are just not in the budget.

No comments: