Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Why Vampires?

I’m not sure why, but of all the supernatural creatures, witches and vampires have held their greatest appeal.

My fascination with witches stretches so far backward in time that it's almost subliminal. I have no idea where or how it began. I only remember wanting to dress up as a witch every Halloween, but my mother preferred less gory attire. I was a cowgirl in kindergarten and a drum majorette for the next couple years, followed by a cleaning lady.

My official introduction to vampires is easier to pinpoint. A neighbor boy was obsessed with monsters and knew all the old movies that had been made about them; he got us hooked. Each summer, one television stationed offered a morning movie series called, “Creature Features,” where, for a week or two, five days a week, it broadcasted those old favorites.

Somewhere, along the way, I decided vampires held an appeal mystique than werewolves (a close second), to Frankenstein, mummies, or Godzilla. I’ve not outgrown that attraction.

No comments: