Monday, October 2, 2017

Recap of White Oak Author Fest, Upcoming Three Author Fairs

First of all, I'm extremely thankful for being able to participate in the very first White Oak Author Fest.

Organizers were kind enough to plan the event and invite me, and many other authors, to take part. I feel the fest was successful, although judging from a few that left a bit early, not everyone, perhaps, shares my view.

Having attended a number of these since I released Bryony in 2011, my perspective on author events has changed, for the better, I believe.

For my first events, as a newbie author, I expected to sell lots of books, and I came prepared to do so. At the suggestion of my publicist, my father created some very nice marketing pieces for my table, and my mother purchased all kinds of themed items, so many over the years that we can now pick and choose what to take, and vary it all the time.

I've only had two occasions where I sold nothing, and two of these events were major events that attracted many, many people. At first, I was disappointed when my expectations didn't meet reality. This was true whether it was a solo signing or one that featured many local authors, who also had modest, if any sales.

And this was true of Saturday's event, too. So why do I feel it was a success?

Because, as I said, I changed my perspective of these events.

Unless one is a superstar author, or even a decent midlist author with a decent midlist following, the main challenge for authors is building brand awareness. This is easier to do with a niche non-fiction book, where sales might happen quickly and briskly. It's much harder, if nearly impossible, to do so with fiction.

Especially self-published fiction of supernatural/literary type. In fact, literary fiction is the most difficult to market and sell, whether it is self or traditionally published. But in terms, of taking the long view and the long road in marketing, the stories I've written are very smart.

Because their themes are classical, they will hold up to time. The 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, the Victorian age, and even the period during the Thirty Years War are always in the past, even when told from the present. Fads in fiction will come and go, but because the BryonySeries (even the Cornell Dyer and Bertrand series) are timeless in their telling, their marketing ability will not go out of style.

These days, I concentrate on building awareness that I have this series, that I love writing, that I have these books (and other fun, related products), that I'm here to entertain you through my writings and books, I write and sell, if that's the type of writing you like.

So, yes, Saturday was successful for me. The White Oak Library Author Fest brought a steady trickle of people through its doors and past our tables. I talked to many people. Many people signed up for my newsletter I'm beginning in 2018. They signed up for my raffles. They left with free copies of story excerpts. I talked to a number of White Oak staff from all three of its libraries, and one of them wants to meet for coffee and pick my elderly brain.

Hey, I'm always up for coffee!

These are all people I've introduced to the BryonySeries without being spammy or pushy, people I would never have met if I'd stayed home with the sulky attitude of "Why bother if no one is going to buy?"

You know what? A sale doesn't mean the buyer will ever read your book. It might be a gift to someone who will never read the book. It might sit on the shelf. A sale doesn't necessarily create a long-term fan.

It might, of course. All I'm saying is that a sale doesn't guarantee it. Neither does networking, of course. But a friendly, genuine connection that builds over time is, I feel, a better quality step in that direction.

And guess what? I did sell, too. Two books and two candles, good for me and good for Valerie's Heavenly Scents, who made two sales without ever having to attend the event.

I made a wonderful new author friend, a very sweet and sincere author who's written two books for children about unconditional love and living in the moment. Her name is Michele Foote, and her website is www.michelefoote.com.

The only downside is that Bertrand grumbled a bit about sitting next to this Dr. Gothart-type skull I picked up for a buck at the local dollar store. But since one of the books I sold was his, he really shouldn't complain.

If you've made it this far, you'll know I meant it when I say, "Hey, these events are coming up. Stop by and say, 'Hi.' I'd love to meet you."

Because I mean it. Even if you aren't buying that day.

Because here's the thing. You might find a book you'll love to take home, even if it's from another author's table. And we'll get a chance to chat.

And maybe, just maybe, you or someone you know, might want what I'm selling. But that's a bonus. But I also know it's possible. My most loyal, dedicated BryonySeries fans/brand ambassadors are passionate about the series, and they are people who finally became curious about the series and took a chance.

So this is why I keep trucking. Ultimately, it's for you, the reader. And that's not baloney. I have one dedication in each of my books, and it reads like this: This book is lovingly dedicated to the reader, whoever you might be.


UPCOMING AUTHOR FAIRS

A number of WriteOn Joliet authors (including moi) will be participating in the following events. I'll be raffling off a basket of BryonySeries stuff and copies of the out-of-print 2012 holiday editor of Visage, as well as giving away a chapter from Before the Blood as a thank you gift for signing up for my newsletter, which begins in 2018.

White Oak Author Fest:

When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.,

Where: White Oak Library, Crest Hill Branch, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill
Etc: Local authors, talks (book preservation and Illinois Author Project), and bookish crafts. BryonySeries books and other merchandise for sale, giveaways and raffle baskets. Free to attend.
Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com
Visit: whiteoakauthorfest.org.

Oswego Literary Festival

When: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 7

Where: Oswego Public Library, 32 Jefferson St., Oswego

Etc: Local authors, BryonySeries books and other merchandise for sale, giveaways and raffle baskets. Free to attend.

​Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com


Indie Author Day

What: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 14

Where: Plainfield Public Library, 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield

Etc: Local authors, BryonySeries books and other merchandise for sale, giveaways and raffle baskets. Free to attend.

Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com


WriteOn Joliet Open Night Mic

When: 6 p.m. Nov. 2

Where: Book and Bean Cafe, 3395 Black Road, Joliet (inside the Joliet Public Library)

Etc: WriteOn Joliet will read excerpts from their works and share information about the upcoming anthology and Nov. 17's anthology release party.

Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com 

Visit: writeonJoliet.com or www.bryonyseries.com

WriteOn Joliet Anthology Release Party

When: 6 to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 17

Where: The Book Market, 2365 Plainfield Road, Crest Hill

Etc.: Copies of "Write Where We Are" (WriteOn Joliet's first anthology) will be for sale. Information about WriteOn Joliet. A chance to meet and talk to some of WriteOn Joliet's members, as well as purchase books written by individual WriteOn Joliet authors as well as browse the store and purchase others books. Chef-created refreshments. BryonySeries raffles. Free admission.

Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com

Visit: writeonJoliet.com or www.bryonyseries.com












No comments: