Friday, October 12, 2012

"The Gift," by Tom Hernandez


The Gift by Tom Hernandez

 

Suddenly a voice

broke the stillness

a gentle breeze, whispering:

 

“My children,

I wanted you to see eternal beauty

So I gave you Michelangelo’s dreams

 

I wanted you to feel purest peace

So I gave you children innocently slumbering

 

I wanted you to hear endless music

So I gave you the night, singing three-part harmony

 

I wanted you to learn faith and hope

So I gave you tomorrow

 

I wanted you to share forgiveness

So I gave you grace

 

I wanted you to believe in miracles

So I gave you spring’s first blush

 

I wanted you to understand the depths of total love

So I gave you the nails that held my son to a tree

 

But above all else, my dear children,

I wanted you to see Me, know Me

Love Me.

 

So I gave you each other.”

 

The Gift, is part of Tom Hernandez’s recently released poetry collection Abundance: A Collection. He is also the author of a book of essays, Chocolate Cows and Purple Cheese.

 

No comments: