Friday, April 22, 2011

Meeting the Easter Bunny By Rowena Bennett

First published in 1930, this poem is not Victorian, but it was the first one I memorized for fun. Enjoy!


On Easter morn at early dawn

before the cocks were crowing

I met a bob-tail bunnykin

and asked where he was going

"Tis in the house and out the house

a-tispy, tipsy-toeing,

Tis round the house and 'bout the house

a-lightly I am going."

"But what is that of every hue

you carry in your basket?"

"Tis eggs of gold and eggs of blue;

I wonder that you ask it.



"Tis chocolate eggs and bonbon eggs

and eggs of red and gray,

For every child in every house

on bonny Easter day."

He perked his ears and winked his eye

and twitched his little nose;

He shook his tail - what tail he had -

and stood up on his toes.

"I must be gone before the sun;

the east is growing gray;

Tis almost time for bells to chime."

And he hippity-hopped away.

No comments: