Monday, January 17, 2011

Naming a Baby is Easier than Naming a Song

Not that I took naming any of my children lightly.

Each time, I put much thought and prayer about the perfect name for this particular child. I said it aloud. I printed it on block paper. I wrote it in cursive with sidewalk chalk on the front porch. The name had to fit my children’s looks, personalities, and even destinies. I wanted them to like their name, to be proud of it. They would wear those names for the rest of their lives.

On Saturday, James Onohan (http://www.jamesonohan.com/), who composes and plays original piano music, sent me two, newly recorded songs for my review. He’s creating a ten-song Bryony CD and has already written its theme song (It’s beautiful). The songs (I love them!!!) were accompanied by a request to collaborate with him in their naming.

So, early Sunday morning, in the morning’s wee hours, while I rolled and delivered Sunday newspapers, I played and replayed those two songs and jotted down notes as I listened to them. What was James trying to communicate? What might he have felt as he wrote and played them? What was I feeling? What Byrony images did the music conjure up for me?

Later that day, I emailed my impressions to James, and he sent me his ideas. He’s pleased with the exchange because he really wants his music to reflect my book. We haven’t named the songs yet, but we’re closer to it today than yesterday. My seventeen-year-old daughter shook her head at me during the umpteenth listen and said, "Well, whatever you're into.'"

Oh, I am so into this!

So, why is this harder than naming my children? With my children, I had certain first and middle names assembled that I already liked and a goal for bestowing them. Heck, I even had a formula: one Old Testament name, one New Testament or saint name, and a combined meaning of the two.

I think it’s trickier to simultaneously and accurately sum up James intention behind a song while correlating it to Bryony, but I’m finding it no less sublime than naming a child. As my publicist would say, ‘We’re making history,” so the titles have to be right.

James’ songs are going to wear those names for a very, long time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love your blog….keep going guys
http://www.mumzone.com.au/baby-names.php

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

Thank you, mum.
I checked out your website.
Very cool resource!