Because we're in the process of moving (again), I planned for a very, very lowkey sixty-fifth birthday last Wednesday.
And the day turned busier with odd projects that I foresaw, along with two back-to-back meals.
My oldest son came up from Streator with his youngest son David (who is turning two on July 22) to treat me to lunch.
The air-conditioning wasn't working at restaurant number one, so we migrated to restaurant number two.
When we returned home, Rebekah told me Timothy and Daniel had made dinner reservations and to "get ready." Ooof!
So we went to dinner, brought home enough leftovers for the next day's dinner, and then the boys stopped at Walt's Ice Cream, so I could have "something" to hold a candle while they sang "Happy Birthday."
They came home with enough ice cream to last for days. And then we sang "Happy Birthday" without the candles because we didn't have any.
NI had no presents at my request since we are putting so many resources into the new home. Their time and presence and help at all my out-of-the-box ideas and projects throughout the year are presents enough, presents of the priceless kind with eternal value and worth.
But my mother did send these lovely popup cards and kept texting me to be sure I opened them.
And Cindy came to the house on Friday with a box of gifts Eric and Justin picked out for me (and something very special she made for WriteOn Joliet's anthology release party on November 12).
Oh, and I still have two hundred-plus birthday wishes yet to read on Facebook.
While some people bemoan growing older, I love growing older.
Three of my grandparents never saw "older."
My paternal grandmother died at 55 from pancreatic cancer.
My patneral grandfather died at 62 from colon cancer.
My maternal grandmother died at 64 from colon cancer.
And my only female cousin died two years at age 58 from breast cancer.
Moreoever, I'm fully aware I should have died in 2002 from something of which you've likely never heard.
I have family, friends, a new home, and life itself.
Turning sixty-five was such a blessing!

No comments:
Post a Comment