Monday, November 14, 2022

A BryonySeries Super Fan's Reflections After Reading "Bryony" for the Fifth Time

My BryonySeries super fan sent me some comments on Bryony after reading it for the fifth time since she first read the young adult vampire novel in 2013.

I am sharing those comments below with her permission. There's a few minor spoilers but not anything of great significance.

As a self-published author, I've always understood book sales are more unicorns than ponies.

But I never expected to hit the jackpot in terms of a handful of readers who revel, and I mean revel, in the stories I've written, worlds I've built, and characters I've brought to life.

I can't say I've enjoyed writing every word because writing is often tedious and always time-consuming.

But as a lifelong avid reader who's read books I've adored more than five times, the exhilaration is beyond words to know I've given another reader similar hours of delight and satisfaction.

It makes the climb to get there so very worth it.

Here is the collection of comments she sent.



I'm reading Bryony, as I told you. Now, that scene where Melissa wakes up to find a feral John Simons lying on her chest is TERRIFYING. This is my fifth read and I'm still surprised by things I overlooked.

Yes, reading Bryony again, is terrifying. My first read I thought it might be her imagination which made it not so scary.

And the Scooter scene. I'd drop a load if I saw that.

You have some classics there. The literary equivalent of Beethoven's music…Layer upon layer of meaning.

First, it really hit home (this time) that Melissa was interacting with her grandmother and great grandmother. And just how much Melissa was part of the Bryony/John saga. She belonged.

Second, this time Lisa Harding's death had more impact on me. And it does make you wonder about the ACTUAL fate of people who disappear. It was a part of the story I sort of put on a back burner. But, it's actually horrific and reveals so much about Kellen.

Bryony is far more terrifying after reading the entire series.

The first read, I didn't care much for Darlene or Steve. Probably because I was rushing through the book. Knowing Steve was Sue's baby all grown up added to the continuum. I saw what a really good mother Darlene was.

The scenarios between Kellen and Melissa (throughout time)  was absolutely brilliant. I noted it the first couple of times. But, this time, I sat back and marveled.

And then there was Melissa. The first time I read the book, she seemed like a victim of her own passiveness. This time I realized she wasn't really passive at all.  But, after reading the entire series, you see how strong she really was. The scenario in the woods with Kellen was a big part of gaining new insight and respect. When the reader realizes just how powerful and sociopathic Kellen is, it's amazing she "sassed" back.

And seeing Henry atone before death restored my faith in him. He and Ed Calkins protecting Melissa hit me harder. Again, I marveled at the Henry/Harold conundrum.

There's likely more, but those were the main revelations.

And after five times I'm still finding something new.

I've never read a single book five times.






No comments: