Tuesday, October 18, 2022

On The Way

In January 2019, I started releasing Before The Blood, a five volume prequel to the original "drop of blood" trilogy in the BryonySeries.

This was a purposely unfinished novel made up of five interconnected unfinished novel.

At Rebekah's suggestion, I released the story in five parts: John Simons, Kellen Wechsler, Bryony Marseilles, Henry Matthews, and Bryony Simons.

And later, I also released Before The Blood in one volume with teeny tiny font.

Writing Before The Blood was an eight-year project since my fiction writing is confined to Friday nights, Saturdays, an at-home writing retreat once a year, and random free days here and there.

Let me stress that I worked on this novel nearly every single Friday night and Saturday for eight years.

So it's important to be organized and focused, with eyes on the goal, even if the goal is far away.

But it occurred to me one day as I was wrapping up the project that no future enjoyment could ever compare to the enjoyment I felt during the construction phase: conjuring up concepts, outlining, character and plot developments, worldbuilding, research, writing, editing, refining.

It's wonderful to set and reach goals, and I wouldn't recommend a life without them. 

But it's also wonderful to be so immersed in the process we lose track of everything else. 

I also wouldn't recommend a life without that, either.

So during this present at-home writing retreat, I certainly have goals to hit, or I won't get the project done in my pre-set time.

But I'm also having one heck of a good time - when I can remember to lose sight of that goal while I'm creating and simply create.

Most roads lead somewhere.

But traveling is fun, too.

Happy Tuesday!



No comments: