Saturday, January 15, 2022

Blessed

On this day in 2014, my freelance career ended as I became an official employee of The Herald-News in Joliet and of the Shaw Media Network.

I'm also sixty-one and a half today. And in the midst of a pandemic and that it brings, I am feeling really blessed.

I was sick on the day I was hired (I didn't know it at the time) and was feeling pretty overhwhelmed. I had worked as an independent contractor for so many years and corporate rules had changed. I had never used  aMac. And I had no idea how to work any of the programs.

In fact, my last employer was Rax Roast Beef in Joliet. I was nineteen.


At the time I was hired, my three young children and I were officially homeless and had lived with relatives for nine months.

My husband had dementia and was also living with family. 

But the job enabled my family and I to move out in May to a small, two bedroom apartment in walkng distance from the job and near public transporation for my two youngest, who were both working and attending school at Joliet Junior College.




I walked back and forth to work nearly every day carrying every file and every piece of paper I might need and my laptop in this case. Through the years, I wore out the wheels of many, many cases since I put about five miles a day on them.

On top of the case went a cooler/lunchbox, which held enough food for a long day, in case I got busy and had to stay. I had no transporation and no money. 

I walked in nearly all kinds of weather: rain, wind, snow, heat, and on ice in zero degree weather. Zero degrees was my limit. If temperatures dipped below that, I made other transportation arrangements.

But I never not made it to work unless I was deliberately working from home.




After the first nine months at The Herald-News, the kids and I moved into a small, two-bedroom townhome and life felt a little easier. 

Two of my cats (Faith and Midnight) knew the routine and were not always happy to see me leave.



But I always left, no matter how much they tried to persuade me otherwise. The cats always seemed to beg for petting once I was suited up and ready to go. Strange...


Faith really liked the days I did work from home. Through the years, my time did become more flexible, and I gradually started working two days from home.


Bertrand the Mouse, went back and forth to work with me. That's how the world works. Real aimals stay home. Pretend ones can hitch a ride.


I have a huge collection of hats and wore a different one every day starting with Day One. Here is my "editor in the yellow hat" picture.



I also wore out my many pairs of thermal boots. Here is one such pair, from those early days.


Walking back and forth to work meant I could experience the seasons as they unfolded and bask in them. Here is one view on Springfield Avenue in Joliet.



And here is another view on Springfield Avenue in Joliet.




And here is one view from Glenwood Avenue in Joliet.




Bertrand, of course, didn't mind the cold.




At work, I had coffee, small gifts from friends, and plenty of inspiration tacked up to keep me grounded, motivated, and inspired.








This is Chloe "Lucky" Hawk, my office plant. A job shadower presented her to me. She is the only plant who has ever stayed alive (and flourished) under my care. I still have her.












Bertrand, of course, liked hanging out at the office...




...and reading the news...




...and getting a little exercise on my desk "jungle gym...



...and finding ways to amuse himself when I worked late, which happened a lot on Friday nights.



Eventually, Fridays became so busy, I stayed put and worked from home.




Of course, since writing fiction is my hobby, Saturdays could get a little busy. See Bertrand playing editor?


In October 2019, right before the start of the pandemic, my two youngest and I moved into a three-bedroom townhouse two doors down from the two-bedroom, where Timothy remained.

What a godsend to have the extra space! Because a few months later, we had a pandemic and went home work.

Because for six years (2013 to 2019) Rebekah and I shared a small bedroom, which also doubled as my home office.

Now she finally had her own room. And I had my own bedroom/office.

This is the view of my office space the day before we moved again into larger townhomes, just this past August. I was working; Rebekah and Jasmine were packing; and Rebekah had just had her first gall bladder attack ever and landed in the ER.

As you can see from above, it was a busy day.



Of course, when we started working from home again, Chloe came home, too. Home agreed with my office plant because she kept outgrowing her planters.








Here is Chloe today in my current home office work space. Chloe and the cats (Frances is pictured) have learned to share a window view.




This photo shows how much I love my job.

I was interviewing a photographer in The Herald-News conference room. He was known for his wonderful candids of the people in Nepal.

He sat with his camera on his lap the entire time. He claimed he had a knack for snapping candids of people without them being aware that he'd taken them.

I was skeptical, of course, but whatever.

After he left and I returned to my desk, I opened an email from him. 

Attached was this photo, taken during the interview.

My skepticism vanished.

No comments: