Monday, October 21, 2019

A Moving Weekend

What does a working when moving look like?

It starts with packing up my home office and the few personal items I decided to keep when we left Channahon.

That part's easy. Those items have remained in labeled boxes since 2013. I just move those around with me, a total of five boxes.

Then, about 9 p.m. on Thursday night, after a meeting of WriteOn Joliet, I packed up my the personal items I use on a daily basis and my home office, which I also use on daily basis.

Friday: Up before 5 p.m., dragging through work until 9 until we did the walk-through of the new townhouse. Then into the office until 4:30 p.m. to honor interviews and pages that needed editing and design. Then coffee and joining the moving crew until 11 p.m. Then back on the computer until 1 and then a shower.

The moving crew included Rebekah and Jasmine when they got off work at 5, Timothy (who worked offsite and moved while participating in conference calls, Daniel, who swapped days with someone else to have the day off, and Cindy, who worked extra hours so she could help with the move.

I might also add that Rebekah and Daniel are recovering from the flu, and Timothy has a bad cold.

Saturday: Up at 7 to find the things I needed for the White Oak Library Fest. Did two videos for work, ran a few errands, unpacked a good chunk of my new bedroom/home office (an incredibly spacious room), sneaked in a walk to clear my head and encourage energy, jumped back on the computer until 11 for a couple of hours, and passed out about 1.

While I was gone, Cindy did an incredible job of moving boxes to different rooms and unpacking the kitchen. She even made dinner.

Sunday: Up at 7, walk and coffee, worked on Monday's page until 1, broke for a meeting, back on the computer until 4, walked to Walmart with Rebekah for a few necessary items (like cat food), handled a medical emergency, back on the computer for a couple of hours, while Rebekah and Timothy finished breaking down the first townhouse (where Timothy is staying, but will be remodeled this week, so he'll spend a week with us).

I might also add here that Joshua is rehabbing his house in Morris, so Timothy spent Sunday there. And Daniel worked Saturday and a double shift on Sunday.

Joined Rebekah and Daniel for Jack's pizza at 9:30 p.m., finished one last thing for work, jumped in the shower, and finally to bed with a book (was asleep almost immediately).

And THAT, is how you move without losing work time.

BTW, I'm totally digging the new space.

The cats are a little weirded out.

But they know where to find the food. :)


Illustration by Christopher Gleason for "Staked!" Follow him at artworkbytopher.com

No comments: