Saturday, September 8, 2018

2nd At-Home Writing Retreat Day No. Five

Still planning to spend the rest of the evening fleshing out some scenes, and because of it, I decided to post the blog now.

Except for the fleshing out, the draft of the final book is done and ready for editing.

What helped is I cut an entire scene I planned to write because it no longer worked. What a time-saver!

It's an interesting feeling to finish a draft of a story that originated in my head since 1985. I've been semi-actively working on this prequel since 2011 and actively (as in spending nearly every weekend and even rising extra early on some days to write) since 2014.

Will I look forward to Saturdays in the same way? (Probably. Still have more books to write).

But it will be different. The structures of those stories will be less complicated and less all-consuming, leaving me time for other projects.

Of course, there still is much fiddling needed with Before the Blood before I can call it completely finished. I still have plenty of self-editing to do, and I have an entire checklist of concepts I plan to revisit.

And that's before I work on my editor's changes.

But unless my editor wants me to add anything substantial, the raw part of creation, for this story, is done.

Tomorrow, Rebekah and I will spend the day catching up on neglected BryonySeries tasks. And then Monday, back to work!

For anyone who cheered me on (even if you have no intention of reading it), thank you. It made a difference.

And now, time to add some flesh to bones.



Illustration by Christopher Gleason for "Staked!" Follow him at www.artworkbytopher.com.

No comments: