Friday, March 17, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, March 12 through March 17

I pronounce this past week as "sick week" and happy to leave it behind.

I worked from home for part of last week and this, but I'm feeling much better now and ready for a partial Saturday of writing fiction. It's partial because I am covering an event Saturday afternoon.

However, before I get to that point, I'll have a late Friday playing a bit of catch up from the rest of today. One of my sons was admitted to the hospital last night with blood poisoning, (an appropriate finale to "sick week"), so prayers, nice thoughts, the sacrificing of goats, etc. all appreciated.

And now...

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at this link:. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/

Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. You may also find them under the "videos" tab.

If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.


Elwood woman publishes a book about her miracle rescue dog  (VIDEO EXTRA)

‘Eva’s Heart’ has uplifting message for all ages

Milo was uncertain of Eva’s breed, saying that Eva “is a brindle and has beautiful coloring.” But that didn’t matter to Milo. She couldn’t believe several families had rejected a dog that remained so calm and loving, despite being returned several times to the shelter.

But Milo had an explanation for it.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/02/28/elwood-woman-publishes-a-book-about-her-miracle-rescue-dog/apq6cjt/



An Extraordinary Life: Frankfort woman helped anyone, anytime, anywhere

Terri Rossi epitomized selfless generosity

"It didn't matter how busy she was or how spread thin she was," Amanda Marshall of Orland hills, Terri's daughter said. "She always told everyone, 'Sure, no problem. I can do that.' "

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/03/07/an-extraordinary-life-frankfort-woman-helped-anyone-anytime-anywhere/as6t88s/


Morris dentist discusses the changing face of oral health
Dr. Keith Jaeschke looks back on 30-plus years of dentistry

Jaeschke said in those early days, dentists practiced "wet-fingered," meaning no gloves and no masks.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/03/12/morris-dentist-discusses-the-changing-face-of-oral-health/ao2z457/


Mystery Diner: Fire Water BBQ has some outstanding brisket

For starters, the restaurant is set up like a picnic, with picnic and square tables set up throughout and bar stools near the windows. Then there’s board after board of menu options, written in different colored chalk.




Joliet Franciscan publishes guide for family and friends of incarcerated people

Former director of Center for Correctional Concerns authors book

“Everybody thinks it happens to other people,” Ujcik said. “But one out of every 32 people ends up interacting with the system and one of every 100 ends up spending time there.”

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/03/08/joliet-franciscan-publishes-guide-for-family-and-friends-of-incarcerated-people/auexzxd/


Joliet area residents celebrate their Irish spirit

Lots of people post pictures of their children on Facebook, and Marianne Uthe of Manhattan is no exception.

But it was the photo of her son Corey Uthe, 17, of Manhattan, that made me remember a story I wrote several years ago, about a Joliet resident that dressed up as a leprechaun for charity.

If there's two, I mused, there's gotta be more.

So I asked on Facebook: "Does anyone in Will/Grundy counties have photos of themselves dressed as leprechauns? If I can get several, I'd like to run them in this Friday's Herald-News. Please message me."

And people responded. Happy St. Patrick's Day and enjoy!

No comments: