Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Most Hated Meal from my Childhood Days

When you were a child, did you have any strong dislikes when it came to food?

For me, it was Pork Sausage Casserole. Whenever my mother served it for dinner, I always went hungry that night. I could never understand who would create a recipe for something so disgusting.

So when we began accepting submissions for the official BryonySeries cookbook--Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles from "Bryony," my mother, with an evil chuckle, submitted this culinary nemesis from my past.

While typing out the handwritten recipe, I realized I had never known what ingredients actually went into the thing. Ironically, with the exception of the canned soups, I do like all of them separately.

Yet, (SHUDDER), you can be sure, I will NOT be preparing this. The rest of you might feel differently. Soooooo, just in case, here it is!

Pork Sausage Casserole
By Virginia Schonbachler

1 pound pork sausage

1 medium onion, diced

1 can condensed cream of mushroom or celery soup

1 cup low-fat milk

1 cup rice, cooked

1 cup cornflake or bread crumbs

2 tablespoons melted butter

Salt and pepper, to taste

 Brown pork sausage and onion together. Drain off fat. Add soup mixed with milk. Add cooked rice. Put into covered 1 ½ quart casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Mix crumbs and butter together. Spread on top of casserole. Bake another 5 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.

No comments: