Friday, July 27, 2012

Truly, An Extraordinary Life

When I began the BryonySeries blog on August 1, 2010, I started showcasing, on Fridays, a short story or poem, many of them once popular, but now obscure, that I particular enjoy.

Occasionally, I offer an original piece from someone I know, such as in the case of Ilinois author Kristina Skaggs: http://bryonyseries.blogspot.com/2012/03/toying-with-death-by-kristina-skaggs.html and http://bryonyseries.blogspot.com/2012/03/dead-serious-by-kristina-skaggs.html.

Today is one of those days.

Since 2001, the Herald News, has published on Mondays, my column, An Extraordinary Life. These are memorial pieces about average, everyday, recently deceased individuals who had lived uncommonly interesting or inspiring lives.

Yesterday morning, I interviewed the parents of Kemp Pond, 30, of Plainfield, who died in a motorcycle accident. I was immediately impressed with Kemp's obituary. The man was highly skilled in many, many areas and possessed a giving heart to match.

At the end of our conversation, Kemp's parents emailed me the poem Kemp had written, less than a year ago, about the joys of motorcycle riding. The last line was so foreboding, my jaw dropped, so I asked his parents if I could reprint his poem on my blog, and they consented.

After I submitted the story to my editor, I researched the details of his tragic accident. They are truly heartbreaking: www.suntimes.com/news/metro/12740495-418/police-ike-biker-thrown-onto-kennedy-in-fatal-crash.html.

My story will run Monday, and I will post a link so you can read about this incredible young man. Here's his poem:

Ode to My Motorcycle
By Kemp Pond

When I'm with you, I feel liberated.
I can fly; I can dance.
I am at peace when I am with you.
I am calm; I am relaxed.
When we are together,
It's only you, me, and the world,
A world we should explore.
The mountains, the coasts, the deserts,
Through the ups and downs,
Adventure is always around the next bend.
Then I stop for a moment and take it all in.
Arms spread open, inviting the world.
Let's see what you've got.
You purr and growl beneath me,
So soothing and inviting.
You've taken me this far.
Where to next?
I could do this every night till I die.


Kemp Pond died sometime after 7:30 p.m. May 22. Eternal memory, young man.

No comments: