Tuesday, July 17, 2012

This is Why I Work From Home

Another steamy, hundred-plus degree in the midwest, so I'm out for my power walk before six a.m. I've got several deadlines and interviews scattered throughout the day, plus filing, writing, editing, homework; yes, it's a full day.

Twenty minutes into my walk, my daughter-in-law texted me. She had been in the emergency department all night with my three-month grandson. Could I keep him today so she could get some rest. I thought fast.

I could let homework slide, but who was home today to watch Ezekiel while I had to be otherwise occupied? Who had an available vehicle so someone could transport him back to my house? Of course, as I'm considering the possibilities, I told Amber, "Yes."

Through the years, well-meaning individuals have suggested I could make more money if I abandoned the freelancing and assumed a proper job. Maybe, but my job is as portable as my lifetstyle is hectic.

I have completed assignments while caring for sick kids, wrapped up in blankets at the computer when I've been sick (or bitten by a cat or whatever), atop workstations in warehouses in the middle of the night waiting for truckloads of papers, inside doctor's offices, and at my mother's counter during family holidays. I've combined my job with homeschooling, the laundry, meals, etc. Today, I'm caring for a grandson. Talk about having it all. I'm a stay at home mom and a career gal.

I've interviewed people who have lost their jobs during family crises. Heck, my last two years has been one long crisis, but I'm still working. Yes, I write seven days a week (most days and weeks), but the work is engaging, rewarding, and extremely portable.

Excuse me while I tend to a crying baby....

No comments: