Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"Made to be Broken," by Kelly Armstrong: "Bryony" Moment of the Day

On Saturday, Timothy and I were driving to my mother’s (She’s serving as my business manager and one of my sales reps) to drop off press kits, sales receipts, money to be deposited, etc. and attempting relevant conversation, in, around, and about the frequent ringing of my cell phone.

One such call, ironically from my mother, elicited huge sighs of annoyance, exaggerated eye-rolling, and a slew of protests. I pressed green anyway and said, “Is it urgent? I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

Well, it actually was. My mother had a “Bryony” moment of the day and didn’t want to forget to share it. An explanation of entails a Bryony moment of the day is here: www.bryonyseries.blogspot.com/2011/11/nanowrimo-day-5-and-bryony-moment-of.html.

“This will just take a minute,” my mother promised.

 I relayed that information to Timothy, who only sighed and rolled his eyes some more. Now he understands why Rebekah is always “stealing” my phone, especially when I’m reviewing her homework.

Anyway, my mother, who adores mysteries, was reading “Made to be Broken” by Kelly Armstrong. Visit Armstrong’s site for a synopsis: www.kelleyarmstrong.com/made-to-be-broken.

In the story, Armstrong mentions a Byrony Adoption Agency (my mother had to read that several times because he mind kept seeing it as Bryony), in all places, Detroit. To sweeten the coincidence, many people, when reading the title of my novel, do, in fact, say “Byrony,” instead of “Bryony.”

And with that, my mother bid us good-bye. Of course, we were nearly at her house by then. My phone made it up to Timothy on the way back by remaining quiet for the entire return trip.






No comments: