Monday, February 20, 2012

"A Day at Joliet West High School"

Last Thursday, with Rebekah and her homework in tow to assist with book sales and generally entertain me between sessions, I talked to four freshman English classes at Joliet West High School about Bryony, the writing process, and the hard work required to make your dreams come true. It was the very first time I had talked to a large group since college speech classes, which I never relished. Did I say I'm fifty?

I anticipated being nervous, but when I awakened last Sunday, eager to talk at the writer's workshop, I began to think it wouldn't be so bad and it wasn't. Not only had I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to the women, the English teacher had emailed a list of questions the students had compiled, which provided an idea of what everyone wanted to hear.

So, after a brief introduction, we showed the book trailer and music video and then I talked about and read from Bryony, letting the students randomly pick the selection. Then, I turned to their questions.

And what did they want to know?

They wanted to hear what else I do during the day besides writing books, where I like to write, if I prefer typing to longhand, my opinions on Twilight and The Hunger Games, the length of time I need to write a book (including revisions), a glimpse into my childhood along with the first book I ever read, and do I want more children?

Well, who wouldn't want more children?

When possible, I let the teens talk, too. Several of the girls and some of the boys liked writing poetry. A few wrote short stories. One boy, a rapper, was shooting a music video with his friends.

During lunch, the teacher was pleased the students were so attentive during my presentations and shared with me some of hte demographics of the students. The majority received supplemental or free lunches. A good percentage were homeless. Five gangs had a presence in the school. Her words were sobering and humbling and made me glad I had encouraged the students in their creative pursuits.

At the end of each talk, we passed out Bryony cards. Nearly every student accepted one, and Rebekah and I stumbled over just three of those cards in the halls. And wouldn't you know it? We had such a wonderful time, we forgot the box of books and have to return this week to pick it up.










































No comments: