Saturday, December 8, 2018

I'm Not Much for Candy Canes, Except...

...when the candy canes show up in my St.Nicholas stocking or when Ed Calkins, Steward of Tara, distributes them.

Yes.

At 57, I still hang up a stocking on St. Nicholas Eve, which is tonight in our world because of everyone's crazy work schedules. We draw names and leave gifts as surprises, which we open together.

Years ago, I found a St. Nicholas blessing prayer for candy canes, so candy canes and gold-foil chocolate coins are traditional candy pieces for our stockings.

The "traditional: candy cane flavor and size, if you please.

During those last few years of our newspaper delivery days, we worked with Ed. He always kept a container of miniature candy canes (see below), with him in the distribution center, which he passed out to people with their bundles.

It sounds strange, but those candy canes tasted frosty good in the December middle of the night air with the windows rolled down.

Every now and again in December, I find myself wishing for an Ed Calkins candy cane.

Ed must have read my mind, because at last year's Calkins Day event, he had a couple leftover ones in his pocket, which he offered to me.

Um, no.

And I said so, too.


No comments: