Friday, December 28, 2018

Holiday Round-Up and Social Me-dia

No story round-up today. I'll catch up on briefs and stories in a week or so. This week, I'm using up the last couple days of vacation time in strategic ways.

Although I still have work to do, I'm structuring it in a way that I'm enjoying the time, a little time out, if you will, since I have lots of great plans for 2019.

I've hung out with family and watched one episode of Futurama with Daniel as we very sloooooowly pick off the last season. And it's the only TV I've watched. (I'm a social watcher).

Timothy and I went for coffee and saw the tree light up and play music at The Promenade in Bolingbrook.

I've done some reading and hope to get some more done. (I have two books right beside my bed).

I've met with Colleen Robbins at the Joliet Public Library over Book and Bean Cafe coffee and incorporated most of her edits into the second manuscript of Before the Blood.

Rebekah has reworked the cover for the first BTB book a couple of times. We're crossing our fingers KDP will approve the book today.

I've walked, not as much as normally but I also don't feel I've gained weight from overreating (I've indulged in a few treats but very minimally). Yoga and weights need to be picked back up (get it?).

I've worked on character development and loose structure for the werewolf story while enjoying a dark roast Dunkin Donuts coffee Timothy brought me. I even found my notes from 2010 when I started playing with it. And BTW, it's called Lycanthropic Summer.

Timothy surprised me with a list of 50 more titles and story premises for The Adventures of Cornell Dyer series. If I live long enough to write them, I will use up all 100 ISBNs we ordered. I'm excited to begin working on the next one.

Rebekah and I spent a lovely Christmas afternoon working on my Christmas gift for my children when we have our Christmas celebration on Jan. 7, also Rebekah's birthday, which she gets to spend in Raleigh with her one and only sister (Sarah Stegall),  so thrilled for both of them.

But I also cleaned house on Christmas Day. And not again since (note to self: should do that today).

I'm having dinner with a friend on Sunday.

I ran around to most of my health providers yesterday with my new insurance card, trying to figure out who will and will not accept it. Overall, it seems to be fine (HURRAY!).

I've talked to Joshua on the phone a lot off and on. And two and half hours with my mother.

I've spent minimal time on social media.

Which leads me to why I posted this link about "tech fatigue."

People today either love or hate social media or what I often term "social me-dia," because a lot of the social has gone out of the usage, with the tool becoming all about "me" and hardly anything about "you."

I still like the sharing aspect of social media, the reason why I still use it for reasons other than my job.

Social media allows me to share my interests with people who are interested (or who may be potentially interested) and others can do the same with me. And then I can share certain aspects of their interests with others who also may be interested.

If social media does not widen a sense of community, it has failed. If one feels isolated in a crowd (and social media is a very large crowd), social media has failed.

Maybe this is way, except for a couple Facebook ads after I released my first book in 2011, I've not bought another.

I've not bought a Twitter ad. I've not "boosted" a post, not even when blog views dramatically declined after Facebook's last algoroithim update thing (which I don't understand) since Facebook was the main entry for readers.

I'm really not good at taking selfies and have no desire to learn. But I'm glad I figured out the basics of Goodreads last month since I'll be reading more this year.

Social media, for me, does not replace phone calls or face-to-face meetings. In fact, I stayed awake into the very wee hours while my oldest son Christopher was in the ER with dangerously high blood sugar. (He texted funny memes, and I sent back emojis and gifs).

But different tools are useful for different forms of communication. And different people prefer different mediums, so using a variety helps me connect with others by way of their preferences.

For instance, my grandkids get excited by my little monthly letters. When the post office doesn't screw up the mailings.

Here's the link.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/23/the-year-social-networks-were-no-longer-social/

With that, I'll sign off. My coffee is cold and I do have a little work to do.

Have a most blessed day readers, writers, and vampire fans! :)




Illustration by Kathleen Rose Van Pelt for "Bryony."

No comments: