Thursday, November 10, 2011

NaNoWriMo Day #10, and a Recipe for the Ailing

Bryony Prequel, Section One, Chapter 9: Check!

Word count: 819

Well, missed another morning today, but I'm feeling confident I can make it back up, now that the story is in my "blood," so to speak.

Had a bit of a mishap last night and moving at a slow pace, but today, I'm very thankful for twenty-first century comfort food. Had I lived in Victorian times, someone might have served me one of these:

Barley Water

2 ounces pearl barley
1/2 pint boiling water
2 quarts boiling water
2 ounces figs
2 ounces raisins, stoned

Put the barley into the half-pint of boiling watere, and let it simmer five minutes; pour off the water, and add the two quarts of boiling water, figs, and raisins, and let it boil till reduced to a quart. Strain it for a drink.

A great Favorite with Invalids:
My note: I already don't like it.

Brisk cider OR acid jellies (when cider is unavailable)
Water
Sugar, to taste
Toasted bread OR toasted crackers
Nutmeg

Take one-third cider or jelly to two-thirds water, sweeten it, crumb in bread or crackers, and grate on nutmeg.

Both recipes adapted from, Miss Beecher’s domestic receiptbook: designed as a supplement to her Treatise on domestic economy.


No comments: