Sunday, January 2, 2011

Woman Paints Expressions of the Unconscious Mind

That's the title of a beautiful story I read in this morning's newspaper.

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/lifestyles/3039730-423/eila-grahn-mind-seizures-batavia.html

As much I try to maintain a "chin up" positive attitude, the constant battle with chronic illnesses often attacks my spirit and blunts the creative process. Yesterday, after a flare-up intensified symptoms, I prayed for inspiration and solace. I received both in this story.

You really must read it to get the full scope. It's about a woman that survived a car accident, but now has frequent seizures, despite three trips to Mayo Clinic for answers and medication to control the seizures. Her prognosis is poor--the seizures may eventually kill her--but she's turned her dreadful experiences into a unique opportunity: she's painting what she sees in the midst of them.

By doing so, she hopes to better understand her medical condition, but also to appreciate the beauty she views while caught in its throes. Her story left me speechless and, yes, very much inspired.

No comments: