Monday, April 29, 2024

'The Hush of a Thousand Prayers'

Remember the actress June Lockhart of "Lassie" and "Petticoat Junction" fame?

Well, June Lockhart wrote an extremely lovely piece for Guideposts in May 1958. Apparently, she had also worked for Guideposts early in her career.

I stumbled upon her essay quite by accident one day while searching online for something else. In this piece, she eloquently sums up why people pray in church when God hears prayer anywhere. 

And she finishes with this paragraph: 

That is what I feel, whenever I enter a church. I feel the hush of thousands of prayers steal over me. I feel the impact of the words of Christ. "It is written," He said long ago, "My house shall be called the house of prayer." (Matthew 21:13).

"The hush of a thousand prayers." I had never thought of church as a place where thousands of prayers had been said.

People refer to certain spaces as holy places. And it's true that God hears prayers anywhere, that one doesn't need to go to church to prayer.

But...

Think of it...

An ordinary church building, any ordinary church building, is a place where fallible people like us stood and sent up, over time, thousands or prayers.

Incredible.

The link to the full piece is below. May it inspire you this day.

https://guideposts.org/prayer/how-to-pray/guideposts-classics-june-lockhart-where-to-pray/





No comments: