Saturday, November 20, 2021

I Went to Give Support...

 ...and left feeling empowered.

I'm talking about two back-to-back events last Saturday.

First was the wake of Nancy Calkins' sister, who died rather suddenly following a challenging illness. Nancy's sister Harriet was also the sister-in-law of Ed Calkins, Steward of Tara.

Nancy had texted me all of the service information, along with some photos. Ed was not aware Nancy did this, so he was very surprised and thoroughly delighted to see Timothy and me at the funeral home.

Then to my surprise, a humbly sort of surprise I really cannot describe, Ed told me every person in the room knew who I was, even though they would not recognize me on sight.

Ed then proceeded to introduce me to a few key people as "his publisher."

His publisher

I'm still trying to let that one sink in.

True, I publish my fiction and now his fiction (here and here), but I don't see myself as his publisher. But I'm really honored that he values my small role in helping to share his stories, which are hilarious.

Then shortly after I returned home, I attended a virtual reunion for people who attended the #5amwritersclub weekend writer's retreat this past year.

Most of the people on the call attended the September retreat (I was at the April event), but it was nice to meet some other talented writers who are part of this amazing group.

One of the writers from the April retreat called us all "scribes" - which sounds way cooler than "writer."

Although Twitter group has a bit of a history, author Ralph Walker really seized the reins and developed it during the pandemic. He also has plans for further expansion in 2022, and I'm super excited. I'm blessed to have discovered this group and look forward to growing my skills and circle of writer friends.

If you're a writer and want more information, email him at RWalker12813@gmail.com and please let him know I sent you.




No comments: