Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Henry Would Notice Detail


“Oh, Melissa, why persist in this delusion? John and I exist in such a half-awake state, never knowing the full delights of a good meal, art, architecture, music, or literature, only the memory of them.” (Bryony, Chapter 18: It Couldn't Be Masters)



Henry Matthews would notice detail.

The thought popped into my head as I was falling asleep on Saturday night. Being the weekend editor this past Saturday and Sunday meant no losing-track-of-time-and-space immersion in Before the Blood, but that  didn't mean I had to neglect it, either.

I still had plenty of scene descriptions to write, so I worked on some of those. They were okay, but something was off.

Henry Matthew would notice detail.

Don't get me wrong. I have detail. But I have not fully developed all of the details Henry would notice, especially at this point in his life. The character's perspective and response is key to making scenes feel real.

Each of those scenes need more grooming before the reader can see what Henry sees and feel what Henry feels. And yet, I don't want those scenes to be an info dump of useless information.

What would Hnery Matthews notice? Hmmm...

This week, I'll be taking a hard look at what's written.

No comments: