Monday, October 31, 2011

Bryony...the Audio Book?

A couple of weeks ago, I received the following message from a Facebook friend: "I wondered if you had considered making Bryony into an audiobook? It seems like the book would translate well to audio. We can chat if you'd like more information about the process."

Hmmm....

So with Bryony still caught up in red tape, which I'm hearing should be resolved in a week or so (crossing my fingers and stepping over cracks, etc.), I agreed to meet with her this morning and listen to an interesting proposal.

Now, before she had sent that message, I had only vaguely and briefly considered an audio book format for Bryony, especially since, to be honest, I don't know many people who prefer an audio book to print. 'Course, I don't know too many people that are infatuated with eReaders, either, and I know I'll be makking Bryony available in electronic format.

So, I gathered a little background about the process of converting a book to audio and gathered a few
opinions. These ranged from disbelief that it could be complicated or timeconsuming ("What's the big deal about reading into a microphone?") to incredulity that audio books hadn't been on my agenda ("What do you think traveling sales reps read?")

This morning over coffee and hot chocolate, my friend and I discussed some initial details about the project. I, in turn, received some postive and valuable feedback about Bryony's marketing to this point and left the meeting feeling empowered that the Bryony team was on the right track.

Will there be an audio book? Well, she received my stock answer to anyone that's expressed a desire to get involved: "Read it first and then decide."

I'm sending her the release today.

No comments: