Friday, September 21, 2018

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Sept. 16 through Sept. 21

For the first time in a very long time, I am right on schedule for a Friday. And I feel pretty good about it (although it's early, I know).

So many projects are coming together right now: the cooking "how" I pitched to The Herald-News a couple years ago, the BryonySeries prequel finally in editing. It's very satisfying.

And I'm actually getting a weekend away this weekend for a very cool experience. Recap next week.

For those who follow Bertrand the Mouse on Instagram (scroll down for information) and wonder where he went, here's the story. I didn't post photos of him during the at-home writing retreat (he was't a priority, sorry little mouse), and then the next week was plain crazy (under the weather, coming back to work after being off a week).

So I took him out for a swanky dinner and showing off photos of what HE did during my writing week. Two are posted on his page with more to come.

Now, where to find my official writing, me on social media, and my two stories, since this week was a catching up week?

Non-bylined features:

Monday through Saturday I assembled my non-bylined works - brief posts and calendar listings - into one convenient file and posting them on Facebook in the evening, so readers can easily choose the ones they want to read.

 One can also find those event listings, the Gotta Do It calendar, as well as the pets, health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars, under the sections tab on the left hand side of http://www.theherald-news.com/. Click on "features" and the topics drop down.  Gotta Do It runs under "people."

Community news? Again, under the sections tab, under features, and by topic. Updates are posted on these days in print and web (and some only on web on other days as I have the time): Monday (pets), Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (arts and entertainment), and Sunday (people).

Social media:

Daily updates: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

BryonySeries stuff: I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries. And assorted related content at www.facebook.com/BryonySeries. And of course, please follow the adventures of Bertrand the Mouse on Instagram at bertrand_bryonyseries.

If you're a writer anywhere in the world, you're welcome to jon WriteOn Joliet's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/writeonminooka/?ref=bookmarks. We're based in Joliet, Illinois, but we love to meet and interact with writers outside our area, too.

Upcoming events: 

These are listed here: https://www.bryonyseries.com/fetes-and-feasts

Books and Such

Information on my books (including where to buy) along with upcoming events is at www.bryonyseries.com.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News. And for reading this blog. And if you've read (or plan to read) any of my books. Your support is greatly appreciated.


'Everyone loved working with Charlie'
Manhatttan resident made a lifelong career by repairing guitars

"He was blind in one eye and going blind in another but he could fix guitars better than anyone with two working eyes," Jenny said. Scherf co-ower of West Side Music Center

A cabaret for Kayla Zbroskewich
Joliet church hosting benefit this weekend for a teen leukemia patient

When you read how much she's endured since May, you'll want to help her.

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/09/17/350d3e44949b48dc83c64bd41452a288/index.xml?page=1


New cooking 'show' expands skills
Joliet Junior College chef instructors will share tips and techniques in 8-week video series 

It will be like having a chef at your side. Come see why!

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/09/18/b75e78263e40415a88a606be4282c4d5/index.xml?page=1


Celebrating the real presence of Christ

Plainfield church will host Eucharistic Adoration event on Sept. 27


St. Mary Immaculate Parish in Plainfield director of youth ministry, Dianne Rostollan said, "I have literally seen people's lives transformed through an hour or two in the presence of Christ."

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/09/18/bd81215994514209ab3f29fe93c5662d/index.xml


Artworks: Crest Hill resident steps out of the shadows to produce her first show


"I'm not an 'in front of people' person. That's my husband Jeff Matson. He's the director," Caitlin said. "Even at our wedding during the first dance he said, 'You're uncomfortable right now,' and I said, 'Yes, everyone is staring at me.'"

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/09/20/39a437d36c9d4e4487b3afc08509359e/index.xml


LocalLit author spotlight: Dawn Plestina of New Lenox 


Plestina said, ". While some aspire to publish, my aspiration focuses on stretching as a writer to improve my art."

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/09/19/64cbdd8be305444a97f162f3ca765148/index.xml


Illustration by Matt Coundiff for "Visage." Follow him at www.facebook.com/artbymattcoundiff

No comments: