Friday, March 3, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Feb. 26 through March 3

Lent is here.

My project: to enjoy the roll and to accept the gifts of each day with two opens hands.

And God already provided the first opportunities: it's been a particularly challenging week, and I'm heading into a particularly challenging day, which leads into weekend editor duties.

Still, for the moment, I feel at peace, if only somewhat. God keeps inspiring me to tackle more and greater projects, while I shake my head (and stress a lot, too) at how I shall accomplish them. The stress part is a waste of time, as each project always gets done. My time would be better spent performing each task with unhurried methodicalness and keeping a childlike wonder at how God will make it all come together.

Don't laugh,. This truly is my Lenten goal. And today is a good day to start.

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at this link:. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/

Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. You may also find them under the "videos" tab.

If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News. 

An Extraordinary Life: All-American, hands-on Joliet man gave cancer the fight of its life

Adam Stockwell worked hard, helped everyone

“Everyone came to Adam when they needed a project done,” Susan Stockwell, Adam's wife, said. “He’d lend a hand and never took a dollar for it. That’s just who he was.”



Pets of the Week: Feb. 27

Click on the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/02/24/pets-of-the-week-feb-27/a5uxxyi/



Mystery Diner: Tackling the horseshoe sandwich at Honest Abe's in Morris

 Along with the horseshoe, Honest Abe's has plenty of burger choices. More than 20, in fact, and you can substitute a chicken breast for any of them if you choose too.



Former opera singer is now pastor at Rockdale church
The Rev. Michael Magiera has sung onstage and for God

For instance, with the Chicago Symphony and Chicago Lyric Opera orchestras, Magiera recently was the tenor soloist for Mozart’s “Requiem.” The recording, made for the Society of St. John Cantius, is available through Biretta Books.

“I’m one of the fortunate people that was able to live a dream,” Magiera said.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/02/28/former-opera-singer-is-now-pastor-at-rockdale-church/ab0dpbn/



Tin Roof in Joliet opens its doors one Sunday a month for The 815 youth performers  (VIDEO EXTRA)


The 815 gives youth musical artists chance to perform live

“You get to perform in front of everyone,” Charlie Long, age 6, of Joliet, said, “and it makes me happy when they clap.”


No comments: