Monday, August 18, 2014

This Past Weekend, from a Monday Point of View

Tired, for one.

Some people catch up on sleep on the weekends. I am (generally) not one of them, since I hate to lose any fiction-writing time by sleeping or indulging in naps. The delicious exception, as I found out during the Fourth of July weekend, is a a block of three days, where a nap on one still leaves me with more time than a block of two. Make sense? Nevertheless, I'm thinking less caffeine and more sleep might be a wise choice. Not sure if I'll feel the same way come Friday.

Number two: Waking up a stubborn muse can be hard to do.

   Mine took until four o'clock on Saturday, extremely frustrating when large blocks of fantasy writing must be reserved for the weekend. After a combination of walking, scanning, researching, trying different music combinations, art prompts, and re-reading past chapters, said muse finally got in the spirit of things and started producing...and was still producing nearly twelve hours later, not cool  when Divine Liturgy begins at ten-thirty forty miles away. I did get insight on preventing muse laziness, which leads me to number three.

Number three: A satisfying writing weekend isn't necessarily good for the novel.

   Huh?

   No, really. Last week, I started Monday feeling so good. I'd finished the fifth chapter in John's story and was looking forward to beginning the sixth. I do a lot of mental writing on my power walks, but that just wasn't happening this past week (the ideas, that is. The walks almost always happen.), a bit of a stumper, since I was really sailing high from my productivity.

 Turns out, the productivity was the problem.

   By wrapping up the previous chapter so neatly AND stopping there, I'd left no seeds to start the next garden. No ideas took root, no scenes began blooming, the plot line went dormant, and the characters stood around like extras on a movie set waiting for something to do.

   I learned this Sunday morning on the way to church, with hoardes of ideas inside my head clamoring for keyboards and computers. A few found their destination later that afternoon, but the rest will have to wait for Friday night, unless I have the opportunity to wrap up chapter six one night this week (Doubt it).

   Thus frustrated, those ideas will have nothing else to do this week except be fruitful and multiply. My overtired mind helped them get in the mood by taking my notes for chapter seven to bed with me. They can thank me later.

Quick Staked! update:

New cover is ready to be uploaded. (Still) waiting for Sarah Stegall to uploaded format-corrected manuscript. Getting impatient? Nudge her along at bryonyseries@gmail.com.


An Extraordinary Life: Joliet woman shied limelight, served family and church

The amount of service she accomplished behind the scenes is truly inspiring

   http://www.theherald-news.com/2014/08/15/joliet-woman-shied-limelight-served-famliy-and-church/asg7341/


Heat: not the only summer hazard to pets

Betcha there's at least one here you didn't consider. Some were revelation to me

http://www.theherald-news.com/2014/08/06/heat-not-only-summer-hazard-to-pets/ai169io/



No comments: