Thursday, December 1, 2011

Savoy Biscuit

Tomorrow, my book designer Serena Diosa, author of Tinkey's Goldfish, and I are meeting to complete the formatting of the Bryony cookbook, Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles from "Bryony." Tonight, a new member of the Bryony team is giving a hard copy of that book a final check for copy and formatting errors.

Today, however, I found an interesting recipe, Savoy Biscuit, in the 1860's cookbook,
Miss Beecher’s domestic receiptbook: designed as a supplement to her Treatise on domestic economy.
This particular cookbook, reprinted by the University of Michigan University Library, has been a marvelous source of Victorian recipes for the Bryony cookbook, although Savoy Biscuit was not one I included.

If anyone prepares this at home, let me know how it turns out. I don't like eggs, so I won't be trying this one. I'm thinking you certainly bake them with all those eggs, but the recipes doesn't suggest a temperature or time.

Savoy Biscuit

6 eggs
1 pound sugar
1 lemon
3/4 pound flour
Butter

Beat eggs into sugar until white. Grate the outside of the lemon into it, mix in flour, and drop them onto buttered paper, a spoonful at a time.





No comments: