Monday, November 4, 2019

Writing Work, Writing Surprises

I accomplished a little bit of all my writing goals this weekend, so it's an interesting Monday.

At the very end of the weekend, two writing surprises showed up in my email.

First the goals.

1) I spent a few hours working on the werewolf story, not as much as I liked, but more than I'd hoped.

2) I had two side projects this weekend. I did no actual work on either of them, but I did spend part of Sunday afternoon with Phyllis reading through the draft of the memoir I'm writing for her. We're only about halfway, so I have time to finish the last two chapters.

3) Nevertheless, the second project (a novel I'm editing for a client), should have its first round done by early December.

4) I met all work deadlines this weekend. But since this week is extremely busy (I'm participating in a career fair, a podcast, co-leading WriteOn, and have a benefits meeting this week), I was hoping to get ahead, too. I'll let God figure this one out!

5) I did catch up with some family members and watched the next episode of an Asian drama I'm enjoying with Rebekah.

6) We spent Sunday morning at the nursing home celebrating Ron's birthday. Since he's progressively declined over the last couple months, we were pleasantly surprised to find him almost "all there" most of the time. We did, however, bring some familiar items, so maybe that helped.

7) I'm glad I didn't stick to the goals. It's been nonstop since returning from Raleigh in August, and I really needed some down time.

Now the surprises.

1) Tom Hernandez, my WriteOn Joliet co-leader, sent me his next WIP, which I read in a tired haze before signing off, so I need to re-read itwith a clear, caffeinated mind. Still, so far, so good!~ One spoiler: one of the characters is a girl heading out to college, and her name is Melissa! So I'm already sold. ;)

2) Ed Calkins, the Steward of Tara, a real person I legally fictionalized for the BryonySeries, has, as you might know, been working on his pretend backstory at the request of a couple BryonySeries fans.

Ed's been quiet for awhile, but he sent an apology email along with a table of contents (with an explanation of progress) and about ten chapters or so. Needless to say, I was thrilled!

I read part of first chapter before I fell asleep, which is no slam against Ed's writing as I always fall asleep reading (is there any better way?)

I'll share Ed's table of contents and commentary on Saturday and my thoughts about what I've read so far tomorrow.




Illustration by Christopher Gleason for "Staked!" Follow him at artworkbytopher.com.

No comments: