Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Improve Productivity With Dedicated Time

But I don't have time!

It's a common refrain (reason, excuse) why people don't do the things they claim they want to do. But the truth is,we all have the same amount of time each day,week, month, year, and that time passes us by with shocking speed, and we never accomplish our dreams.

What many of us do have are very full days. Those full days are like full closets. If we wish to add more, something has to go.

If our days are too full to write, and we really want to write (some people only think they want to write), then something must go.

In my case, it was clearning thirty minutes of my morning to work on my novel.

I'm the type of person that has the mindset of "work before play." Except that I never completed all the work I wanted to do before I'd allow myself the pleasure of playing with the novel. Or if I did, then I was too tired to be creative. Over time, I grew frustrated and resentful, leading to less productivity. So I made space at the beginning of the day. How? I cut the work off earlier, got my ass to bed earlier, and woke up earlier. I did this about nine months ago, and I'm happy I did.

Thirty minutes doesn't seem like much time,and I wish I could grow it to an hour (my original goal). But even thirty minutes is extremely helpful.

It means when I have great chunks of time on Saturday, I can let ideas spill onto the page. It means I don't have to stop to refine, research, or slow the space to develop a character, describe a scene, etc. and watch the precious minutes of a writing Saturday tick by. When I come to one of those places, I type a few words about the work that section needs, bold it, add it to my "homework" file, and keep going.

In those dedicated thirty minutes, I pick one of those items.

My way may not be your way. But if you really want to write, find a way. You'll be glad you did.


No comments: