Monday, May 23, 2016

Sold On S Notes

So my new phone is a Samsung something (Timothy picked it out), which has an S note feature. I used it for the first time yesterday while Daniel drove to church. On a working weekend, that drive became ninety minutes of extra fiction time.

While in theory writers should always carry something to write on, I often forget, and precious ideas are lost forever. But while listening to music I associate with Henry's section of Before the Blood, the thoughts just came, and I scribbled them down as fast as they arrived, for later transcribing.

And what thoughts came in that hour and a half? Snippets of dialogue, a place to use a quote I liked that ended up strengthening the plot, and a major alteration of a secondary character that made the ultimate sense to the story.

One of the reasons I don't use handwritten notes is that I find them harder to read than typewritten, even though I transcribe characters that resemble gibberish to eyes other than my own (I developed my own weird shorthand in college). In theory, I should be able to type notes with the AP, too. I just need to figure out how to do it.

So, a successful fiction day in spite of a busy working weekend. S note: I appreciate you!

No comments: