Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A Peek into a Freelance Writer's Day

Many times when I interview people, I'll ask them what they like about their job. Often, I'll hear, "It's different everyday."

My days, for all of their "sameness" are impossible to replicate, for no two, indeed, are never the same. I'm not sure what other freelancers do, but here was my day today:

I woke up extra early this morning (3:30 a.m.) and so after taking my Allegra, I decided to lie back down for an hour. Rebekah forgot to set her alarm, and my oldest fed the cats (hungry cats are a puuurfect backup alarm), so I began today by oversleeping (never a good sign).

I scrambled to start the coffee, chill the water, and peel a banana (which nearly immediately pulls me from my hypoglycemic state) and then back up the ladder for prayer and music while I checked and answered e and voice mail while Rebekah, and then Daniel, showered.

Shower, breakfast, and out the door to them to Joliet Junior College. Waking up late in this humidity meant no power walk today, good thing, too, because I had an assignment to complete and photo cutlines to write. I edited another story, began another, and took several phone calls.

Then it was back to JJC and home again. While eating lunch, I finalized plans with Big Brothers Big Sisters about tomorrow night's fundraiser and prayed midday prayers. I again checked email and then spent the afternoon helping a prospective medical student write essays and fill out forms for his MCATs.

I again checked email, made two phone calls, and responded to a request to from my pr contact at one of the hospitals: would I have time to interview a doctor this afternoon for the next column (I ghost write medical columns). I did and then completed some miscellaneous work (organizing the rest of the week's stories, printing out hard copies of notes, etc) while eating dinner and getting ready for my WriteOn Joliet meeting, made all the sweeter with some excellent chocolate chip cookies one of our writers baked in honor of my birthday (yesterday).

Once home, I rewarded myself with a few laps around the baseball field across the street from my house (as it was dark because remember, I had missed my walk today, absolutely necessary to my sanity). I then rechecked email for a final time, and yes, it is 10:30 p.m., and I am writing this blog. Prayers, bed, and a book.

And it begins again tomorrow, somewhat the same and completely different.

 

No comments: