Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Meet Kristina Skaggs, author of "Dead Serious."

Kristina Skaggs, co-owner of Complete Chiropractic and Wellness Center in Joliet (www.completechiroandwellness.com), has the unparalleled honor of being the first writer to submit and publish a short story on Bryony's website.

Today, Kristina shares her writing history, inspiration, and goals. Read Kristina's story, "Dead Serious," at www.bryonyseries.com/Harold_Masters.html.com.


1) Kristina, when did you begin writing and why?

"Primitively when I was four. I thought that the "Giving Tree" needed a sequel, so I scribbled it in the back of the book with crayons. I don't remember what I wrote because I didn't know how to write at the time, so it was just a bunch of scribbles."


2) What is the earliest complete story you recall writing?

"When I was in kindergarten I wrote about a girl named Polly. As I got older, she got older and her adventures grew more elaborate."


3) What kinds of stories do you enjoy writing now?

"I like to write short stories. I like dipping into the lives of people, walking in their shoes for that time, and reacting to scenarios differently than I would have. It's to see what turns out.


4) Where do you glean ideas for your stories?

"I do an extraordinary amount of reading and listening to other people's experiences. If I read too much Mark Twain, my style reflects his style, and if I read to much Charlaine Harris, I start formulating my stories like she does. It's easy to get carried away and to forget where inspiration meets your originality."


5) Have you taken any formal classes?

"Just Writing 101 in college. I was originally in the pre Journalism program at the University of Missouri-Columbia. They have one of the top j-Schools in America, but it's also really competitive, so unfortunately I was unable to continue that path because I didn't have the best grades. The bulk of my passion for writing comes from Mrs. K. in 5-8th grade. She helped me sharpen my writing pencils (so to speak).


6) Did anyone mentor your writing?

"My dad read to me every night before I could read and many nights after. Even if we were reading the book for the eighty-ninth million time. I've talked to friends who said their parents never read to them, and I believe they missed out on an essential part of childhood. He was my biggest mentor in putting stories together


7) What is your overall writing goal?

"To translate what's in my head to a legible, fluent, masterpiece."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview, Denise and Kristina! I think featuring other writers is a great idea, and I loved Kristina's answers-- especially about being read to as a child every night. I attribute a lot of my love of reading to the same thing with my parents and family.I look forward to reading more of Kristina's work and am very impressed with her style and personality as well.

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

Absolutely! I, too, enjoy her writing style. I hope Kristina agrees to share more of her work, too...and soon. :)