Thursday, August 18, 2011

Where's the Chocolate?

While locating recipes for the "Bryony" cookbook: "Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles from 'Bryony,'" it occured to me that I hadn't found any chocolate recipes.

Oh, I saw recipes for chocolate drinks, but none for cookies, pies, cakes, pastries, etc. Sure, I didn't expect chocolate chip cookies and brownies, but I'm wondering when DID the Victorians start to prepare chocolate desserts? I can't believe John Simons, with all his clout, couldn't devise a way to serve chocolate at Simons Mansion.

Certainly, I understand Melissa's squeamishness about sampling the ancient fare set before her. You won't find me first in line for the boiled calves head.

Still, I think once Melissa realized that chocolate was not part of her bargain with vampire John Simons, she should have told him all bets were off.

When a vampire doesn't return your affections, a gal should at least have some chocolate for sorrow-drowning, instead of relying on an antique music box and an undead chaperone.

1 comment:

Rebekah Baran said...

I would of demanded chocolate at once. No chocolate no blood deal.