Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Walking

I remember sitting in Sister Laudiose's French class at Providence Catholic High School in the mid-1970s and noticing the sister's wrapped foot.

Sister Laudiose told the class she had foot surgery and was not allowed to walk on it for six weeks. I remember thinking how horrible it would be not to walk for six weeks. Even then, walking, as well as bike riding, was a tremendous stress reliever for me, a way to think, let my mind unravel.

And it still is.

When I became a "real" writer, walking also helped me mentally work out stories. I've written chapters and scenes on foot, and I've "written" many first drafts of stories for The Herald-News after I've moved away from the computer and walked a bit, sometimes even walking around the office building.

Now that electronic music is so handy, I sometimes walk to music, although not always.

Sometimes I catch up on personal phone calls, although not always.

Walking has been a part of prayer and meditation, but sometimes walking is just walking, so the rest of me can be still.

I enjoy walking outside, but I also enjoy walking indoors, where I have to be less aware of my surroundings and less mentally engaged.

I've walked outside in extreme heat and cold (temperatures over 100 degrees and below zero), but I'm a little smarter now and stick to inside walking during these times.

To lose the ability to walk would be a real loss on my levels.

I never take it for granted.




No comments: