Thursday, May 9, 2019

BryonySeries Throwback Thursday: An Almost-Forgotten Interview from 2013

I have known Allison Rios for many years.


When I was a freelancer, she was one of my contacts in the public relations department of a local hospital. In 2005, I wrote An Extraordinary Life story about Allie's mom when she died of brain cancer.

I can remember the day Allie asked to talk to me about a non-newspaper subject: self-publishing. She had an idea for a book and wanted information.


I also featured Allie last year as a LocalLit author.

But from time to time, Allie has also promoted local authors on her author Facebook page. While looking for something else this week, I found this gem. I had nearly forgotten it. 

It made me smile. Hope it makes you smile, too.

Featured Author: Denise Baran-Unland

Let me introduce you to Denise Baran-Unland, an exceptionally talented writer (in my opinion!). I have read Denise's book "Bryony," in which "the main character, 1970s teen Melissa Marchellis, trades her blood with a Victorian vampire for a trip back into time". I enjoyed the book, and especially the time and research Denise very obviously put into writing it. The details really brought the book to life and allowed me to envision what life was like in the Victorian era.

A little about Denise: she is a fulltime freelance writer that contributes to several newspapers, a hospital chain, and several non-profits. She's self-published two books in the BryonySeries - a third will be released by December - and a companion cookbook that is a fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties. She's taught features and creative writing and has overseen a newspaper for a homeschool cooperative and mentored homeschool high school students for the Herald News' former "Teen Scene" section. She is also a founding member of WriteOn Joliet, a local writing group.

The links to her books are at the end of this article - you won't be disappointed in the read! You can also check out the reviews on Amazon (via the links). If you check out her stories, be sure to share your thoughts in a review on Amazon - that's the best way to help an author! Read more about authors and literature on my blog, www.amijustmom.blogspot.com.

And now, for Denise's interview!

What is your background in writing?
  I've worked as a fulltime freelance writer since 1998. I write for several newspapers--primarily the Herald News in Joliet, IL, Adventist Midwest Health and several non-profits. I also take on selected independent projects.
   My fiction writing began in childhood. I wrote short stories in grade school and a novella, "The Inheritance," in the 8th grade. Much of mine "fun" writing fell off in high school and college. I was expecting my third child when I had the idea for the BryonySeries, a young adult, gothic vampire story about a teen girl that trades her blood with a Victorian vampire for a trip back into time.

What books have you written?
   Books one and two, Bryony" and "Visage," are both published. The third book, "Staked!" is in editing. A companion cookbook, "Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles from 'Bryony,'" is a fundraiser for "Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties." We also released a "holiday edition" to "Visage," but that is now out of print. I'm currently working on two spinoff series: "The Adventures of Cornell Dyer" and "Bertrand the Mouse."

What is your most recently published piece?
  "Visage."

Why you chose to self-publish?
  I enjoy the creative control. My freelance work is for traditional arenas, so self-publishing provides me with the opportunity to gain knowledge in a different area of publishing and to develop new skills.

What do you love about writing?
   The fact that the right words can make people laugh, cry, smile, become angry, open their wallets, fall in love, etc. It's so much fun!!!!!

What is the best book you've read?
   That's hard one. Probably "Gone with the Wind."

What types of books do you read?
   My favorite is pre-20th century vampire and ghost stories.

What genre(s) do you write and why?
   My non-fiction, freelance work is people centered features. My fiction (so far) is classic, gothic vampire.

What does a book need to be considered great?
   Have well-written, realistic characters that leap off the page.

Who are some of your favorite authors (Indie and otherwise)?
   Leo Tolstoy, O. Henry, H.P. Lovecraft

Synopsis
   "Bryony": A 70’s teen trades her blood with a Victorian vampire for a trip back into time.
   "Visage:" After trading her blood with a Victorian vampire, a 70’s teen plunges into a misleading contract, trapping her into another bargain to save a life.

Buy
All BryonySeries books are available at www.bryonyseries.com/Dalton_s_Dry_Goods.
Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles from Bryony: http://amzn.com/0985274816

No comments: