Friday, April 14, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, April 9 through April 14

Short sleep this past weekend equaled insomnia for Denise and a miserable start to this past week. Just as I got this whole sleeping thing refigured out, I'm back into late night/short sleep for Holy Week.

Today, however, I plan to relay on being kind to myself and extra coffee (and maybe a couple of cat naps), along with sleeping in the next couple of days, since we have the midnight services Saturday night.

I hope this doesn't sound like complaining. It's the holiest week of the entire year, and I'm mostly feeling blessed. Despite my long work hours, I also have a job with tremendous flexibility, and I'm feeling especially thankful this morning for that flexibility --and for a loving God who sent His Son into the world that I may not perish (when I deserve that and more) but have eternal life.

If you only click on one link today, be certain to check out the beautiful church art, photographed by Herald-News photo editor Eric Ginnard.

And now...

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at this link:. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/

Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. You may also find them under the "videos" tab.

If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.



New CEO for Center for Disability Services in Joliet has clear vision for the role

Not ready to retire, Randy Chapman now serves individuals with disabilities

Randy said he enjoys watching staff interact with the individuals.

“I’d love to just sit down with them on the floor some morning, or afternoon, and watch them – and perhaps engage,” Randy said.



An Extraordinary Life: Joliet anesthesiologist was 'intense, ambitious and goal-oriented'
Dr. Hazami Khater understood surviving and thriving

“She was as much in control as was humanly possible,” Russell Khater, her son, said. “To be ready for things when they happen, that’s who she was. ... She had a lot of joy in security.”



Pets of the Week: April 10

Click on the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/04/05/pets-of-the-week-april-10/a6joaw7/


9-year-old autistic boys from Joliet and Plainfield making progress, thanks to their moms
Jennifer Martillo and Martha Hernandez advocate for autistic sons

Both Jennifer Martillo of Plainfield and Martha Hernandez of Joliet handpicked their sons’ schools, and sought therapy and extracurricular activities that best suited the boys’ needs

http://www.theherald-news.com/2017/03/31/9-year-old-autistic-boys-from-joliet-and-plainfield-making-progress-thanks-to-their-moms/aq290j5/


Mystery Diner: Baby Back Blues' ribs are worth the trip

I had a hard time stopping myself from trying to eat them all with the sweet barbecue sauce. The meat was tender enough to easily tear off the bone but didn’t fall off by itself. And the taste was hard to match.



Joliet area residents share their favorite foods for Passover, Holy Week and Easter

Celebrate faith this week with special foods

Mixed in with the spiritual services are spiritual reasons for food prepared during this time. Here’s a glance at several traditions – and a few recipes – used by Joliet area residents.




Photos: Journey through Good Friday with art from 3 Joliet area churches

From the frescoes in catacombs to the majesty filling the Sistine Chapel in Rome, artists through time have depicted major events of Jesus' life.

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2017/04/10/b6dbbf2562ec4a409ed6b9c78db7f88b/index.xml

No comments: