Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Stuck on Ideas? Writers: Try This Trick

Character Questionnaires.

Yes, I know I've blogged about this in the past.

http://bryonyseries.blogspot.com/2016/03/getting-to-know-my-characters-its.html

But as I'm developing yet another round of characters, I'm fully realizing how great they are  for generating scenes, dialogue, and plot twists.

As soon as I type another trait, I'm ht with ideas: "Oooh, she and he can discuss that," and "Ah, so this is what happened in the past that triggered this," and "I can make this be the cause for that...and won't so and so be surprised when he finds out!"

Skeptical? Try it the next time you're stuck.

Because maybe, just maybe, the reason why ideas freeze is because the characters are too flat to move the story.




No comments: