Friday, January 6, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Jan 1 through Jan. 6

Today is the first day off since Dec. 26.

That said, I've grown to love working the Dec. 31/Jan. 1 (and this year, Jan. 2 as new year's observed) weekend/holiday editor shift. It inspires me to spend the last day of the retreating year and the first of a new one in the service of others, working so that my colleagues may not.

To sweeten the deal for me, I scheduled some long pushed aside projects, their accomplishment (finally) sweetened the deal for me.

Tomorrow my family will bid Christmas farewell with a family celebration. Today is busy (technically off, but have a video to shoot, three to upload, and a story to finish), so no more digressing.

First, the non-bylined work: the health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars. Three of them can be found at the link below. http://www.theherald-news.com/lifestyle/ Gotta Do It, runs each Sunday and often stays on the home page throughout the week.

Feature briefs for Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (Arts and Entertainment), and Sunday (People) are also edited (texted and photos) by the lady of this blog, but only the stories have bylines.

Another option: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61. And of course, I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries.

Just an FYI: On free days, holidays, and Sundays I'm not on call, I only post the blog to my "real" Twitter account, as my company insists we do take time off. I'm less reasonable, so unless I'm on a real vacation, I still post to the BryonySeries accounts. I won't be posting to my personal Twitter account this weekend, only to BryonySeries.

FYI: videos have not been attaching to my Herald-News stories, although they do run for a time on the home page. If you'd like to watch a video, and it's not showing up for you, message me, and I'll manually attach it. No worries for this week, though, although I will have videos for Sunday.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News.


Former Joliet resident Janina Gavankar joins cast of 'Sleepy Hollow'

Gavankar recently took some time to answer questions from Herald-News Features Editor Denise M. Baran-Unland via email about her character, her years in Joliet and her current projects.



An Extraordinary Life: Joliet man fulfilled thousands of wishes for children with life-threatening illnesses
Don West never met a wish he couldn’t fulfill

“I’ve seen families empty their life savings and sell everything trying to give their dying child that one last wish,” Don West said in a 2011 Herald-News story, “but the cost for them is just too much.”



Joliet professor explains the psychology behind New Year's resolutions
Psychologist Margot Underwood shares strategies for making and keeping resolutions

“We don’t like to be incongruent,” Underwood said. “We like to be who we say we are.”



MysteryDiner: Plenty of choices, good prices at Diamand’s Family Restaurant
‘Serving families since 1989’

From healthy choices to comfort foods, Diamand’s offers it all.



Joliet cathedral to celebrate Epiphany with a concert of sacred choral music
Cathedral of St. Raymond's newest music director wants musical program to transform lives

"Oftentimes in our lives we question, 'What can we give?' Well, we can give the gift of self,'" James Grzadzinski said, adding, "How does the light of faith and the symbol of the star that guided the magi guide our lives and help us to give our lives to Christ? This will unfold throughout the program."



Veteran actors lend voices to former New Lenox man's animated web series  (VIDEO EXTRA)
Justin Marchert’s ‘Fantasy Hospital’ web series features veteran actors

Of course, fantasy beings staff “Fantasy Hospital,” the place where dwarfs, giants, fairies and wizard doctors cure magical maladies. But real veteran actors voice these creatures – actors such as Pete Holmes, Jonah Ray, Pauley Perrette, Wil Wheaton and Emma Caulfield – whom Marchert met through networking in Los Angeles.






No comments: