Sunday, January 18, 2015

Potato Dumplings


Potato Dumplings

6 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and peeled while hot
2 eggs, beaten
Dash of salt
1 cup flour
Additional flour
Melted butter
Fried minced onion

Roll potatoes on board with rolling pin. Then form into a heap, make a well in the middle, pour in eggs, salt, flour, knead together and roll, adding more flour so that the mixture may be quite stiff. Cut into 6 pieces, make dumplings and boil in boiling salted water. When done, halve, sprinkle with melted butter and fried minced onion.

Note from Denise M. Baran-Unland: “I remember being a preschooler and watching my grandmother make these in a kitchen that contained a coal stove. Grandma always let me roll my own, smaller dumpling, no small thrill when she ladled it onto my plate. Years later, my mother told me Grandma watched my dumpling grow grayer and grayer as I worked it. When I wasn’t watching, Grandma threw away my dumpling and prepared another to replace it. Of course, I was none the wiser.”


From "Memories in the Kitchen: Bites and Nibbles From 'Bryony'"

All proceeds benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties at www.bbbswillgrundy.org



No comments: