Monday, April 28, 2014

So I didn't Have the Weekend I Planned to Have...

...and I'm starting Monday morning stressed out over it.

Meaning, I wanted to accomplish more work than I did. If I was having this conversation with someone else, I'd be chastising him/her for not allowing much-needed white space into that life.

Now that I'm in a "real" office, my work days are very mentally intense, especially since I choose not step away from the computer very often (lunch box filled with food and water right at my feet, why move?)

Fortunately, I can choose to change that last bit very soon. Two weeks, in fact, and, strangely, I'm feeling optimistic and somewhat excited, which I did not expect to feel. More on that later.

So back to the weekend. On Friday, I detailed my work schedule for this week, with a stack of work I wanted to accompish Saturday and Sunday to make that happen. Like so many times, every item on my "to-do" list doesn't quite make it over to the "ta-da" list as quickly and neatly as I like.

And what DID I do this weekend?

   *  Watched two episodes of Family Guy with Daniel (Because of conflicting schedules, I rarely see Daniel, except on the weekends. He turned me onto the show and especially looks for Stewie and Brian episodes for me).

   *  Did a little writing, a little reading, and fell asleep

Saturday

   *  Caught up on email, listened to music, and took a nap

   *  Ran errands

   *  Went to Morris to see the baby

   *  Did laundry

   *  Did an interview

   *  Took a power walk and then

   *  Walked to the mall with Daniel for Gloria Jean coffee and then to the dollar store for water
 
   *  Watched two more episodes of Family Guy

   *  Printed out my notes for Before the Blood, a several hour process

Sunday

   *  Sorted through four loads of laundry (convoluted story)

   *  Caught up (sort of) on Bryony stuff

   *  Wrote two first drafts

   *  Attended church forty miles away AND

   *  An Easter brunch following services

   *  Ran a few errands

   *  Rebekah came home shortly after we did, so I listened to her recount her weekend

   *  Spent a couple of hours editing feature briefs

But...but...I wanted to write three more stories!

Sometimes, I think I should pare down my expectations...except without those unrealistic expectations, I wouldn't come close to reaching my goals. so what's a delusional writer to do?

Stay unrealistic.

Applaud the victories, forgive the defeats.

Revise that list and move on.

Because, ah yes, revisions are at the heart of what I do.

 

No comments: