Saturday, April 12, 2014

Author Fair Recap and the Long View

Summary in bullet points (mind is tired for much composition)

   *  The Fountaindale Public Library in Bolingbrook, besides being three stories of awesomeness, has some of the most hospitable employees I have ever met. The fair had only about twenty authors, and we were treated like royalty. Kudos!

   *  Totally gorgeous weather meant extremely light turn-out. The majority of the attendees didn't know about the fair until they walked into the library. Some authors left early because of it. I made a committment to stay until the end, and I did.

   *  I did sell three books, to the library.

   *  Of the three presentations (in descending order), attendance was two, one, and none (I was none, scheduled at the end of the day). On the plus side, the organizer slipped into the room and spent most of that time asking me questions about my writing and various projects and my availability in returning to the library, so maybe it was a presentation of a different kind.

   *  Two people were extremely interested in WriteOn Joliet and wanted to discuss their projects with me. One is also a high school English teacher that wants to find out more about the BryonySeries, as her school mandates the students read one novel a month, and she is on the sharp look out for new and unusual titles to keep it fresh.

   *  The long view: I'd rather build my house brick by brick. Those that build with straw and sticks don't survive. True, I might not get the entire house built, but a strong, three-walled fortress can still offer protection from the wolves.

No comments: