Tuesday, March 2, 2021

No Coffee? Then Let's Have Tea

I knew a woman once who struggled all of her life in nearly every area of her life.

For all her struggles, her outlook was remarkably positive.

One day we had a conversation about our abilities to whip up a meal when the larders looked rather bare to everyone else.

She agreed, gave a few examples, and then added, "If you don't have coffee, then we'll have tea."

This woman passed away a few years ago. But her amazing spirit stays with me.

Now I'm a coffee drinker. I don't like tea, except for chamomile tea - and I'm allergic to chamomile, so I don't drink it anymore.

But, as I'm sure you've guessed, this post isn't about coffee or tea.

I tend to remember the line of "then we'll have tea" on days when life doesn't fall into neat packages, the way I would like it to fall.

This morning, for example, I'm having inconsistent internet connection, and it's affected my morning routine and early morning workflow.

The odds are all those disruptions won't affect my overall life. Two years down the road (two weeks or two days most likely), I won't even remember this morning's inconveniences.

But I can affect my perspective by grumbling that the internet is not going my way - and not appreciating the fact that Rebekah can (and did) troubleshoot the issue.

Rebekah dislikes disruptions to her routine, too, perhaps even more than I do. But she does like tea.

And I did have coffee this morning.



Photo by Timothy Baran



2 comments:

Holly Coop Author said...

I had the exact same day with internet/computer issues. It was as if sloths πŸ¦₯ infiltrated my computer and internet connections. It was so frustrating I told my family I felt like a raging, lunatic B_T_H! I’m sure you can fill in the blanks. πŸ˜– I really needed this post - thanks 😊

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

Nothing can make me crazier faster than computer issues in the morning or while on deadline. Inevitably, it always happens on mornings I'm up early, thinking I'm going to get ahead. I wind up twice as late.