Monday, July 13, 2020

When a Good Book Comes to You

From time to time, authors who are better at book marketing than I am point out I'm not assertive enough or that my marketing efforts are too soft.

That's probably true and also probably stems from two experiences: I myself tend to back off when I sense someone is trying to "sell" me something, and I really like the thrill of discovering a new book.

The first reason needs no explanation. I'll expound on the second in future posts.

But of the second, I will say that the "thrill" is not the thrill of the hunt but of the rainy afternoon, poking around in a dusty attic type of thrill, of finding a wonderful book that's just sitting off to the side, waiting to be found.

The joy of picking up such a book, of flipping through its pages, of becoming acquainted with the story and style, and then finally losing myself in someone else's words and hard work until I forget I'm reading is a joy that's unmatched.

With that in mind, I'd like to share one such book from my childhood. This post would not have happened with my WriteOn Joliet co-leader Tom Hernandez creating a special monthly blog for 2020: Writers are Readers.

In this blog, Tom Hernandez invites WriteOn Joliet to share a book they've enjoyed but also add how that book influenced their writing, too.

My turn is this month, July, which, ironically, is also the month of my birth. So I'm especially honored to share a book that brought me (and my sister and my children) many hours of re-reading happiness.

And it renews my goal to strive very hard to do the same for anyone who's reading, has read, or will read my words, too.

Here is the link: https://www.writeonjoliet.com/post/writers-are-readers-nanka-of-old-bohemia

Have a wonderful Monday!


2 comments:

Rebekah Baran said...

I still love this book to this day. I remember reading it with you because the book was old and I was young. Every time I go to read it I remember to be extra careful with it because the book is so old.

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

The illustrations are just how I pictured the story, too. :)