Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The Fifty-Year Wait Has Ended

As a child, I loved dolls, and I had a lot of dolls.

I probably had more dolls than any other kind of toy, and I liked playing with dolls more than any other activity.

My sister and I had dolls of all shapes and sizes, including paper dolls: with tabs, magnets, and even dolls we cut from catalogs.

Some of our favorite dolls were Liddle Kiddles. I even had Liddle Kiddles coloring book.

I also had a list of dolls I never owned but yearned to own. That includes most Kiddles (the line had so many, it was nearly impossible to own them all), Crissy and Velvet dolls, Rosemary from the Rock Flowers, and most of the Dawn and Barbie dolls.

My favorite Liddle Kiddles were the Kiddle Kologne dolls. And the one I most longed to own was Rosebud.

And she recently arrived in the mail for me.

You see, one day I was showing Rebekah some of the vintage dolls I once longed to own, including Rosebud. So without telling me, Rebekah found one on Etsy and ordered it for me.

It was a lovely, sweet surprise.

Rosebud even still has a faint rose scent clinging to her.

My two granddaughters fell in love with her and wanted to play with her. If I had more (including the colonial dollhouse I once has a child, along with some period furniture), that would have been a grat option.

And thanks to the internet, not out of the realm of possibility.

Rosebud is currently sitting beneath a small Christmas tree Joshua and Timothy bought me, which Timothy set up on one of my dressers (one that used to belong to Ron's mother) late at night on the Feast of St. Nicholas.






4 comments:

Dawn said...

Being a depression baby, my mom loved her doll. My daughter grew up in the midst of the America Girl Doll craze. I had one doll I really appreciated- The Dawn Doll. It's a 70's thing.

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

I had a Dawn doll and so did my sister. We always wanted more of the other dolls in the collection, but we never received another one. We did, however, have four of the Rock Flower dolls. Again, no one would ever buy us the fifth one. :(

Sue said...

I love this! I collect model horses and still squeal when I get one that I have wanted for a while. We have to keep the kid in us happy because then we remember what it was like to be a kid.

Denise M. Baran-Unland said...

Sue, that's very true. I think I will never be too old to own a doll - and some dolls more than others.