Wednesday, December 4, 2019

A Real Loss

Almost without fail, the first words I type each morning are a Bible verse, wishes for a good morning with a cup of coffee, and birthday greetings to Facebook friends who have a birthday.

That's when I found out that an incredibly talented young writer had died in August.

Fall is a busy time for me, work-wise, so I don't keep up with everyone on social media. However, before I reviewed Ravina Thakkar's book for the LocalLit newsletter back in August, I did hop onto her page to make sure all was well with her - and i appeared to be.

She passed later that month.

Ravina had spoken to WriteOn Joliet, an adult critique group I co-lead, back in January. She spoke about writing and the process of becoming a traditionally published author in her early teens, even as she battled cystic fibrosis.

It was Ravina's mother who told me off to the side how sick Ravina was that night, but she was so honored at being invited to speak, she wanted to power through it.

I had interviewed Ravina for The Herald-News several times over the years, the last before she set off for college as a creative writing major, full of hopes for publishing more books and launching a career as an editor.

The story was called "Cystic fibrosis won't get her last word."

You might think it did.

But that's the great thing about writing.

The words last forever.

Ironically, Ravina's novel for middle-schoolers was called "The Adventure of a Lifetime."

You can buy it here.

And while Ravina won't write another book, her determination will now help other young writers.

Sourcebooks, you're a real class act.






No comments: