Monday, June 10, 2019

Not Terribly Clever

I like to share particularly helpful posts about writing I find online with my followers.

But here's an insight into my writing style. I usually don't read or consider writing advice when I writing a story. I may use them afterward to polish and rewrite drafts.

However, I don't build certain elements into my story for the sake of writing a "correctly structured" story. Heck, when I wrote my first book, I had only a dim awareness such things existed.

When I write my characters, I'm not making sure I have a predetermined character cast.

When I'm building my world, I'm not making sure I incorporate any canned elements that all good world-building "must" have.

I don't write my stories based on models or structures (snowflake, hitting certain mood or plot beats).

I simply write the story.

That's not to say any of these aren't helpful/useful/beneficial or necessary for writers (including me). Many times, I've had "aha!" moments by reading one of these insights.

It's just to point out there's more than one path to a compelling story. Some writers appreciate guidelines to turn their jumble of thoughts in well-crafted stories. Others write better with a "free range" style.

I think I fall somewhere in between. And I think it's because I've read such a huge volume of material in my life that I've absorbed all this great advice.

I think.

Now I do have my own quirks. I prefer to write in silence, with coffee, on a desk top and, (if I'm writing fiction) in an upstairs room.

But because I'm also a professional writer, I can write in a flash, on deadline, and in a roomful of people. But it's not as enjoyable. And not as efficient.

And BTW: ignore anyone who purports to have "the secret" creating great writing.

There isn't any.

Except maybe one, and it's not a secret.

You do have to write it.

And rewrite it.

And rewrite it.

And rewrite it.

Until the story in your head becomes the story on your screen.



No comments: