Thursday, June 6, 2019

BryonySeries Throwback Thursday: "Love Poem" by Tom Hernandez

Friday, June 7, 2013


"Love Poem" by Tom Hernandez


Oh Nikki, slick Nikki, tricking me into doing something I haven't done
For a long, long time. To take an idea and run
Even though it has no real form. Just let it sing and ring, flinging
The words onto the page to see what they become--about anything and nothing
Because sometimes anything is something and nothing becomes everything.
Yours was a love poem and a birthday gift. Mine? Well, we'll see.
Where the wave of the words on the beach of an idea takes me.
Right now, it just feels right to sit here, and pour it out, like wine and water,
mixing and hoping that they will become holy blood through my fingers;
wheat and honey turning to mystical flesh in my hands.
Do I still have the magic touch? If Nikki does, then why not?
I can do what she has done. I can walk where she has run. It may not be art--not yet--
But at least I have my jogging shoes on again.
They fit. A little tight, but they're alright,
And so am I.
Yours was a love poem and a birthday gift.
Here on a rainy Monday, I guess mine is, too.
And Darling Nikki, your love is my love is you.
The gift is not for my birthday,
but it feels like I am reborn, in a small way, so maybe it is, kind of.
Reborn through the "Word"--big W, but not in the Jesus sense.
Rather, in the Spirit of the Creator creating creation.
Because that's what it's all about, when you come right down to it and cut right through all the nonsense and expense. Not the rules
That the fools in the robes and silly hats put around it.
And yes, we humans can do it--you and I, are living proof of that.
We create life, bring life, give life, sing life through our word,
precious golden nuggets of pain and joy, birds soaring and diving,
dipping and climbing high, higher, highest
until neither the eye nor the sky can hold them anymore.
Like birds.
Our words.
Love poems.
That Dear Nikki, is your gift. And Mine




No comments: